danse macabre

Alright, another greatest-hits post.  Woodcuts have always been a huge influence on my art--print media in general, be it etching, engraving, or drypoint. And most especially the examples from the Renaissance on through the Mannerist period.

So I frequently find myself buying books on the subject, and I've accumulated a veritable library. My most recent addition is The Dance of Death
 by Hans Holbein the Younger. I read the reviews given by people on amazon, which were mixed, but without hesitation, purchased it. Why? No matter what mildly disparaging things people say about "size" and "reproduction quality" blah blah blah, woodcuts nearly always reproduce awesomely. And when I got the book, I was not disappointed, and I think the small plates actually add to the book's appeal (approx. 2" x 3").

The Dance of Death, 
danse macabreTotentanz. Scenes of figures from every station of life and accompanying cadavers or skeletons. Holbein's is considered one of the most intellectually interesting and aesthetically distinguished examples. His also illustrates the concept of memento mori...."remember that you will die"...no matter who you are.

The Emperor...one of my favorites.

Order thine house while thou hast breath,
Bestow thou goods; for thou must die,
And soon within the realms of Death
The chariots of thy state shall lie.


(English translation from 
Les simulachres & historiees faces de la mort)

0 comments: