Science Is My Religion, I Think

Listening to: Philip Glass, Glassworks
Reading: Flowers: How They Changed the World by William C. Burger
Just Finished Reading: Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin


I've recently become quite obsessed with evolutionary biology. Ever since I read Loren Eiseley's book The Immense Journey (particularly his essay about flowers and the one entitled The Snout), I can't get enough of it. That and cosmology. Recently, the Science Channel aired a biography of Albert Einstein and followed it up with a show chronicling the history of humanity's interest in the Universe. That prompted me to get down with some Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan. Cosmos, here I come. Well, maybe not now, but you're definitely going on my wishlist.

Just before discovering Eiseley, a naturalist who really has the artistic shrewdness of a poet, I read Hesse's Siddhartha. Each gave me a spiritual connection with the rest of the world as I read it...both have underlying themes of some kind of primordial monadic kinship with the entire universe and eternal existence on a basic level.

Alright, I just started Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, and I think I'll be off to finish it. :)

0 comments: